The other evening while hanging out with some friends the topic arose among some RWOGs (that's "respectable woman of God," to quote a now infamous Clause opinion article from last semester) about the appropriate timing during their wedding ceremony (or the evening's activities) to remove their Purity ring. As the conversation evolved I was really surprised by the answers some of my female were suggesting.
One girl suggested that she would remove her purity ring right before the wedding ring was placed on her finger during the wedding ceremony. Yet another girl posited that she would remove her purity ring right before engaging in coitus (sexual intercourse) on her wedding night. A guy in the conversation, whom is completely fictional as I have totally made him up for the sake of making a good story with care for the balance of fairness for women and men... then said "Bro, I am going to leave my purity ring on until after I am finished with my first night of sex with my wife." A female replied to him "Hey you! That's disrespectful to the whole idea of having a purity ring in the first place, you're only supposed to wear it while you are still pure." The views of these people summarize many Christian ideas of purity, but what isn't surprising to me is that few realize what's wrong with them.
Ladies, gentlemen--if you wear a "purity ring" then I have a special message for you: You can leave your purity ring on forever if you want... as long as your spouse is the only person you have sex with while you are married.
What is impure, unclean, or unwholesome about having sex with your partner that you have been united with by God? Many Christians seem to be forgetting that sex (and sexuality for that matter) were created by God as a gift to us. If we truly believe God made sex good... why do we fear (and often condemn) our sexuality? Why are we so afraid to even talk about sex? -Sticky issue, I know! ;)
One of my favorite activities is attending past "Sex 101" a.k.a "Sex and Chocolate/Candy/Brownies/*insert food name" meetings. I'm not "a creepy single APU male" (*callback to earlier quoted source), but I go because I like the reality check I get when I realize how misguided people are, on both sides of the table. We are so ignorant. You'd think that as know-it-all Christians, people should be coming to us for advice on healthy sexuality! Yet we only know how to repeat the line "don't have a sexual thought until you're married" (which incidentally happens to be terrible advice).
The thing that surprises me the most about these events is how we always reject the message of people trying to set us free from Satan's bonds. To quote the often rejected Dr. Steve Gerali, "Satan doesn't take bad things and make them look good, sometimes he takes good things and makes them look bad." It breaks my hearts to see how we invite Satan into our lives thinking it is for God's glory. The sad thing is that God has given us this great gift for us to enjoy in our marriages, but most people have been so brainwashed "for the kingdom" into thinking that sex is bad that they will live their entire lives missing the point.
Whether we like it or not we all have our own sexuality to take responsibility for as we discover, enjoy, and worship God with it. Let's worship God by changing to desire what makes God happiest: his children living in freedom by truth. It's not hard...... THATS WHAT SHE SAID!!!!

0 comments:
Post a Comment