Thursday, July 24, 2008

DON'T PANIC

It is funny how perfectly timed life can be sometimes.  Perfect timing makes me believe in God because it makes life interesting to me, like a carefully orchestrated plan.  This makes me feel comfortable.


Lately I have been questioning all those great questions that thinkers think, I thought.

In reading my recent writings I see a pattern of hostility towards having a peaceful attitude about my existence.  Lately I have been more afraid then ever before that my blip blip blip of a life will someday end and be no more.  Fear shackles me down and limits my life, and I sit by and let it happen for some reason.  Why?

I realized that part of my problem is that I am not as smart as I think I am.  God says the wisdom of the world is foolishness.  We think we know everything, but the truth is that there is so much that we don't know and never will know that it is impossible to have it figured out.  I have to come to terms with the fact that I will never have the answers to all the questions I have.

I question if my life is valuable... and sometimes I don't like the answer I come up with, but then today I realize that timing is the key to this question.  You should never question your value until you have done something to make it so.  This question is ultimately useless if God is who he says he is... the creator of life who loves and values us all.

But as I go about my life, doubting, believing, praying, and hoping, I find more questions rising to the surface.  Who am I?  Why am I here?  What is this "life"?

All of these big questions manifest themselves in my heart as turbulence that I am forced to navigate.  With a white-knuckled grip, I am shackled to my own futile attempts to interfere with inevitability.  Through this existential storm a light whispers over the horizon:  don't panic.

The ultimate answer is "42."  If you have read the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy then my thoughts probably makes a little more sense to you.

DON'T PANIC.

Don't!

"Who of you can add a single moment to your life by worrying"  -the bible.

Don't panic.  Be cool.  Life is what it is, and the meaning it has is what we do with the time we have left.  I'll spend mine thinking about God, and probably doing something about it.

0 comments: