God is my shepherd, I won't be wanting, I won't be wanting.
I am encouraged by the wisdom in God's little surprises. This past week had been very difficult for me; truly one of the lowest weeks of my life. For many reasons I found disappointment an easy commodity to fill my life, and every day became another excuse to add another tally to the "bad" side of the scorecard I had been keeping. The month of June hasn't been generous with good days. In the past weeks I had experienced great frustration, and it all came down on me one afternoon while driving home from work on the very packed, hot, and garbage smelling I-5... and ironically God made himself known to me here. Suddenly a car passed in front of me, and the license frame read in silver letters "Joy comes in the morning."
Joy comes in the morning.
I wrote earlier of the mighty chains that bind me down, but now I write of the truth that sets me free. God seems to be pretty intent on always keeping me in suspense, as his surprises come when I least suspect them, but one thing I do love about God is knowing that the promise of tomorrow is a promise of great joy, and that changes who I am today. I find myself capable of loving life the way God wants me to: through the good, and the more often bad. Knowing what dreams may come gives today a brighter morning.
God is my shepherd, I won't be wanting, I won't be wanting.
He makes me rest in fields of green
and quiet streams
Even though I walk through the valley
of death of dying
I will not fear cause you are with me,
you are with me
"In The House of God Forever" by Jon Foreman
Today at work, I had cleared guests off to the side of the parade path for the Electric Light Parade. As I worked to keep the path clean I went around talking to guests to make sure they were having a nice day and a great experience at the Disneyland parks. These little boys waved me down and started talking to me about how excited they were. Suddenly, three of the most adorable children I have ever seen came up to me as I was kneeling to talk. These three girls were holding some kind of little pink and furry books, and when they got to me they asked very sweetly "Can we have your autograph?" I was embarrassed in front of the thousand people watching me in the middle of the parade path. I heard a choir of "ahhhs" from behind me, well--maybe 4 or 5. I was embarrassed as I felt I had done nothing worthy of these little children's respect, but as I wondered what to write on their little autograph books a sense of purpose came over me. I wasn't sure what I am allowed to write when I am working, but the message in my mind was clear. I wrote to each girl that they were princesses, and were made to be special. After they signed it and walked off, I had the biggest smile on my face. I guess it's the magic of the place, but what I really hoped was that those girls would maybe one day look back on that and realize what I truly meant by what I wrote: that they are God's little princesses, and he made them very special.
I think that the biggest joy we get in life is knowing we are special. Does anything make you more special than being a joy to God? Joy is not a transaction between man and God, it's a circle and an embrace. We take joy in God's love, and our joy makes God's day.
If joy comes in the morning, don't keep the sun down too long.
If joy comes in the morning, don't let me oversleep.
If joy comes in the morning, let me give you joy in the evening.

0 comments:
Post a Comment